Monday, September 29, 2014

Dealing With Failure

Failure is a part of life and a person can either learn from failure or become a failure. At Estes, we are teaching students about grit. Grit is persistence, determination and resilience. We want students who are willing to take risks and fail. Failure breeds success and innovation.
How can a parent help a child deal with failure. It is easy! First, don't give up on them. Second, don't make excuses for them.
I will share a time when I failed in school. I earned a D in a language arts class and man I was mad. I went home and complained to my parents that this teacher was horrible and didn't like me. Yes, I played that card with my parents. My parents saw through it because they knew I wasn't working hard in class. I was to worried about other things that didn't matter in my life.
My parents challenged me to bring my grade up and stayed on me to do that. I posted that failing grade above my bed, so that when I went to bed it was the last thing I saw and when I woke up it was the first thing I saw.
My parents could have easily given up on me or told me that I wouldn't need to learn from that teacher. My parents didn't do that because they knew if they were to do that I wouldn't want to try on anything. If my parents are reading this, I want to say thank you for not allowing me to take shortcuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment