Monday, December 29, 2014

I'm Bored!

How many times have you heard I'm bored over the break? I would guess multiple times. So what is a parent to do? Well, I have some ideas that I have tried in the past and have worked for me.
Take a trip downtown to the Science and History Museum. Did you know that if you buy a family membership to our museum you can use that membership card to get into hundreds of other museums around the United States. My wife and I have taken our kids to museums in Louisville and Nashville for free because of our membership to the Owensboro Science and History Museum.
We also have a great library in Owensboro with many things to do. If you have not been to the library in some time, you and your family are missing out on some special bonding time. Not only does the library have thousands of books to read they also have a family room located on the second floor. They library also has computers for you and your children to use and have fun on.
But what can I do with my kids at home? Well, the first thing to do is get out some of those board games that have been collecting dust in the cabinet. Monopoly and Life are great games to teach about finances and how to manage money. Stratego is game that I loved to play when I was a child and it teaches children about strategy and decision making. Those games are great for older kids, but what do I do with my younger kids. I can remember playing the game Cootie with my mom for hours. Memory match games provide loads of fun and are easy for younger kids to play. Sorry and Connect Four are both games that young children can play with older siblings. Card games such as Old Maid and Go Fish are great learning games to play with your younger kids.
The one thing I would recommend is snuggling up on the couch with some books and reading to your kids.
Those recommendations require family involvement. What do I do if I need a break from my kids? Besides the obvious go clean your room there are things you can do to help foster creativity and independence with your kids. Give your kids some cardboard and tell them to create the most creative and unique thing they can make. Get out the Lego's and give them certain items to create with the magical blocks. Spread shaving cream on the table and let them design whatever they like on the table. Did you know that the shaving cream actually cleans the table as they play with it? If you have a tablet or a smartphone have your children recreate their favorite parts of a book they have read while you or another person records it.
Enjoy the break with your children and make some magical memories for the whole family!





No comments:

Post a Comment