Monday, October 5, 2015

Fun Writing for the Family

I have a fun family writing project that you can do with your child over Fall Break. This writing will not take long and is meant to tap into your child's creative writing side. Basically your child will have some questions that you and your child can answer together. Once your writing is finished you can illustrate the story. If you want to take it to the next level you can create some paper sack puppets for the characters and act the story out. If you are feeling nostalgic and want to create a diorama out of a shoebox and display it in your living room as a Halloween decoration, you will win the gold star of parenting for doing that project.
Here are the questions that can be answered and I answered the questions to give you a model. You can expand on the answers and make it has long and detailed as you want.


What is the date for your story?  Today is Friday October 31st.
What is the weather and time of day?  It is a windy and dark night outside. (Good time to work on those descriptive adjectives and have your child talk about the tone and feeling of the story.)
Where are you going and Why?  I’m going to my friend Sam’s house for a Halloween party.
Introduce simple Problem (Start the discussion of cause and effect)
Describe something scary you see on the way to where you are going.  On my way to the party I see an old, creepy house with a light on.
Feelings and solution
How do you feel and what do you do?  I feel nervous and scared.  I run really fast to my friend’s house.
Finish the story-
Have fun with your family writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment