Monday, May 25, 2015

Off -Season Training

We had an outstanding year at Estes. If you don't believe me just go back and look at all the old posts on this blog. Just like a competitor  in any sport we can't be happy with where we are. We need to keep pushing ourselves to become the best in all that we do.
Whether you are a rookie, seasoned veteran or the champion at any sport or any other competition, you know when the season ends you still have to keep in tip-top shape. For people in sports that means working on your weaknesses while tuning up your strengths. For people in academics that means keeping your mind sharp and building more schema by challenging your brain by reading and working various puzzles.
The summer is a time to recharge your batteries and relax. There is no problem with doing that because I will also be taking some time off to rest my brain and body. Well, I don't need to rest the body. I need to push myself to get back into shape.
Trust me I totally understand getting a break because I just finished my fourth college degree back in March. To me the saying life long learner is not just a quote-it is a reality.
Here is what we can't do-We can't go all summer without working our brains or our body. We need to find a balance between enjoying summer and keeping our brains active. Am I saying that we need to read and do math problems all day? No, that is not what I am saying for your child to do. 30 minutes a day of reading is the minimum your child should do. Does that sound like a lot to ask? Well, we have 24 hours in a day. If you get 8 hours of sleep that means you still have the other 16 hours in the day to squeeze in 30 minutes.
There are many things to do in Owensboro that will work either your brain or your body and not cost you an arm or a leg. We have some wonderful nature trails at Yellow Creek Park, Panther Creek Park and Ben Hawes Park. These trails are a great way to get back with nature, work your body and learn a little science. Our public library is a great place to relax and read. The public library also has various activities going on throughout the summer months. We have three really good museums in the area that also have various activities going on this summer.
On the left side of the blog are many links that your child can explore that are education related. Your child should still know their passwords for each link.
Enjoy your summer, but remember that for the students of Estes to reach their full potential they need to continue to grow their brains.

No comments:

Post a Comment