Monday, December 7, 2015

Dear Santa

I have a fun and engaging writing activity for your children to do before Christmas break. Instead of your children telling or asking you for presents, I want them to write you a letter explaining why they deserve what they want.
First, your child will need to write the greeting of the letter.
**Dear Santa, or Dear Mr. Claus, etc...
Second your child will need to work on the body of the letter. It is always nice to start by asking the person you are writing a question or something complimenting them. You then want to tell the person who you are writing to why you are writing to them.
Here are some examples:
**Santa, how are you feeling this year? Santa, what is happening at the North Pole. Santa, I want to say thank you for all my gifts that you gave me last year.
**I am writing to you to tell you what I want for Christmas this year and why I deserve to get this gifts.
Next, you can have your child write down his list and then tell why he wants each item on the list. If it is 4 items, he or she should have 4 sentences telling why he or she wants these gifts.
After this is completed you need to move into persuading Santa on why you deserve these gifts. I would say that your child should have at least 2 good reasons on why they should get what is on their list. Ex- Santa, I should get what is on my list because I have been good.***** Do not accept this reason because it is generic. Your child needs to explain exactly what they have done to be good.
Next, you need to put a spin on this letter and have your child give a reason to Santa on why he or she thinks that Santa will not be able to get his or her gifts. Ex- Santa, you probably won't be able to get me what is on my list because it will cost you a lot of money, but remember you have all those elves to make the gifts that are on my list.
You then want your child to close the letter.
Love,
Name.
If your child doesn't want to make this letter I would tell them that they probably don't want what is on their list anyway. Work Hard for What You Want!

No comments:

Post a Comment