Sunday, December 4, 2016

DRA Scores and MAP Scores

We are currently in the midst of testing your children in both DRA and MAP. If you don't know much about what the scores mean, I will try to quickly explain.
MAP:
MAP is a nationally normed test and all that means is that your child takes the same test as all other students in the nation.  Your child will receive a RIT score and a Percentile. The percentile will mean more to you and is easier to understand. If your child is at the 40th percentile that is considered low average. If your child is at the 50th percentile that is considered on grade level. If your child scores at the 65th percentile your child will likely score proficients on the KPREP test. If your child scores at the 90 percentile your child will likely score distinguished on the KPREP test.

DRA:
Your child is getting ready to take the second round of DRA tests. These tests allow your child's teacher to individualize their reading program.
K students should score at level 4-6 when exiting kindergarten.
1st grade students should score at level 18-20 when exiting1st grade.
2nd grade students should score at level 28-30 when exiting 2nd grade.
3rd grade students should score at level 38-40 when exiting 3rd grade.
4th grade students should score at level 48-50 when exiting 4th grade.

If your child is behind on his or her score there is still time to help them catch them up. I have told you all about how I couldn't read well until the end of third grade and how hard my parents, my teachers and I had to work.

I have had teachers tell me that parents are telling them that they can't find 20 minutes to listen to their child read a night. To this I say: MAKE TIME!
If my parents and teachers hadn't pushed me I wouldn't be where I am today. My wife and I both work full time and sometimes 10 hour days, but we still make time to help our children. Am I bragging? No, I am not bragging. Our children need to see how important reading and an education is.  Is it hard. Heck yes it is hard. Do we want to do it every night? No, but we do. Do our kids try to pull every  trick in the book on us? Yes, but we still make them work and we still listen to them read. Would we rather watch television, play on the tablet or smartphone? Yes, but those things aren't as important as our children.

Here is the bottom line: Estes has the best teachers and parents in Owensboro and when we all work together our Estes children will benefit. Parents thank you for all that you do for our students and your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment