Thursday, December 22, 2016

Merry Christmas

I would like to wish all of our Estes community a Merry Christmas. Estes will only continue to rise as an exceptional school because I believe we have the hardest working and thoughtful staff, the most lovable children and great parents who want to see their children succeed.
I have been lucky enough to enjoy Christmas 41 times in my life. Each of those 41 have meant something different to me. I can remember all the excitement that Christmas brought to me as a child. Only now I can look back and see how special Christmas really was. I wish I could travel back and to one of those early Christmas and talk and hug both sets of my grandparents and thank them for the socks and underwear that they gave me. At the time I can honestly say I didn't appreciate it as much as I do now. They were supplying me with a need and not a want. Yes, I did get more than socks and underwear from them but they were showing me that you always put your needs in front of your wants.
I look back at all the times spent with family members and the good times we had around the dinner table and the conversations that we had. I know as a parent that I need to work on slowing life down for my children and really having honest and thought provoking conversations with them. It isn't easy to do things like that because of the time we live in, but that isn't going to be an excuse. I need to turn off the tv, clear the table from clutter and have family meals again. Any device that begins with an i will be turned off and our brains will be turned back on.
Christmas means many things to many people. I now look at the giving side more than the receiving side. Christmas represents to me a time to sacrifice and a time for giving to those that need help. I want my children to see that Christmas is more than a commercial holiday and that it truly means something greater than what is put under a tree.
Family, friends, food and church is what I grew up around and that is what I want my kids to associate Christmas with.
I love my Estes Family and have a Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment